Maybe you’ve heard about the craze around coriander juice? And you’re wondering whats the fuss – are there actually any health benefits? We take a look at the benefits of coriander juice…
Losing weight without working out at all? A far-fetched dream; only if the weight loss journey was as easy as gaining it.
It goes without saying that weight loss needs dedication and discipline. It is definitely not a feat that can be achieved overnight. Swapping unhealthy, refined and fattening ingredients with healthy and wholesome ones can go a long way in shedding those extra, unwanted inches around your belly.
While working out religiously helps a ton, the magic ingredient you’re looking for is coriander leaves. It is said to be one of the oldest spices ever known to mankind. Coriander is one such herb that is known for its incredible digestive and weight loss benefits. It is packed with anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Studies have shown that they can regulate cholesterol, stimulate appetite and improve digestion. It is immensely valued in Ayurvedic medicine as well and is even being recognised for it’s healh benefits and potential for aiding weight loss.
Enough with the chit chat, you might be wondering how coriander leaves exactly catalyze your weight loss and enhance your health in general. Well, stay tuned…
Benefits of coriander leaves (and the juice!)
We already know that a green juice can be incredibly healthy – think spinach or kale juices. But coriander juice distils the health giving qualities of this nutritious herb, including the antioxidants and fat burning qualities.
- Coriander leaves possess an important element, known as quercetin, which helps speed up metabolism. It stimulates enzymes and juices, which are known to enhance our digestive system, and besides, coriander is an excellent source of fiber.
- Coriander juice can replace all your high calorie beverages and serves as a great detox drink, eliminating excess toxins and helps you feel light and contributes to weight loss. They have good antiseptic properties and are thus helpful in treating mouth ulcers. Its aroma helps in freshening the breath and thereby reducing mouth decay.
- Being high in calcium, coriander leaves also build up good bone and tooth strength. It similarly helps in reducing the degradation of bones and can be used in treating spondylitis and other bone related issues that can occur as one gets older. It also helps in maintaining blood pressure and cholesterol and increasing the secretion of insulin, thus keeping the blood sugar in control.
Well, those are a handful of the many remarkable benefits of coriander juice. Now for the best part: the recipes!
Recipe 1 – Coriander leaves & lemon drink
- ½ cup fresh coriander leaves
- 1 lemon
- Warm Water – 1/2 cup
- Room temperature water – 1/3 cup
- 1/3 tsp cinnamon powder (optional)
- 1 tsp honey (optional)
How to make:
- Cut off all roots of coriander. Wash well and grind it in a mixer grinder, along with 1/3 cup room temperature water.
- Cut the lemon in two and remove all the seeds. Squeeze the lemon juice in a cup and add the warm water along with it.
- Add the ground coriander to this lemon juice water and mix well. You can add a pinch of cinnamon powder for taste, but it is purely optional.
- You can also add a tsp of honey for taste, again purely optional.
And there you have it, combined with a couple of other healthy habits, coriander juice can help you to lose weight faster. Bonus points for drinking this with an empty stomach everyday. Great results, believe us. And, here’s the bonus coriander seed juice recipe we promised.
Recipe 2 – Coriander seeds juice
- Coriander Seeds – 1 tbsp
- Water – 1 glass
How to make:
- Place a small pan on a stove and add a glass of water.
- Add coriander seeds and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Boil for 2-3 min on medium heat until the quantity of water reduces and colour of water changes, then remove from the heat.
- Strain the water into a cup.
- Allow to cool and drink
Recipe 3 – Coriander, Spinach and Mint smoothie
- 1 cup of spinach
- 1/2 cup of coriander
- 1/2 cup of spinach
- 1 apple, peeled and cored
- thumb sized ginger
- dash of lemon juice
How to make:
- Rinse the spinach and remove ends of coriander stems
- Either pop all of the ingredients in a smoothie maker or a blender and blend until pureed
- Best served over ice
While these magic green potions are great on their own, you will receive the best results with good implementation.
Following a low carb diet and a light to mild cardio workout routine will take you a long way on your weight loss journey. Good luck!
Get more coriander in your life! We love this book, 123 Coriander Recipes by Donna Ward. Also available in Kindle format.